GeeK ZonE GeeKs
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 03, 2015, 11:07:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
New Signups Disabled - See Announcement
51,019 Posts in 4,592 Topics by 207 Members
Latest Member: lucas90
* Home Help Login Register
+  GeeK ZonE GeeKs
|-+  Solid State
| |-+  Power Supplies
| | |-+  Modified Broskie Autobias Circuit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Modified Broskie Autobias Circuit  (Read 2654 times)
Geek
At the intersection of Geek and Nerd.
Has r00t

Tubes keep kitty happy

« on: November 18, 2005, 14:50:31 »

I'm so dang proud of the Muntzing and tweak I came up with tonight, if I were vain I'd call it the "Broskie-van der Sluys Autobias" cocktail

As a continuation of this thread, I pulled a little 4558 off a board laying around the shop and went to work.

So, what does it do? It's actually three circuits in one - DC servo, Broskie bias compensator and foldover circuit (think of "runaway" brakes, like on a train).

DC servo. The 1/2 of the 4558 that feeds the base of the A1380 shunt-regulator is the heart of the entire kaboodle. By itself, it's a DC servo. The "-" input (because of the transistor, the inputs are inverted) is fed with reference, through a 220K resistor. The "+" is fed with sense voltage, developed across the 10 ohm cathode resistor. The opamp tries to keep its differential inputs equalized and as a byproduct of that, we get a constant cathode current.

Broskie bias compensator. As John Broskie pointed out in his TubeCad articles here and here, the failure of the typical DC servo is when the tube input signal drives the bias toward zero volts and is assymetrical, the tube starts coming out of class-A, due to the audio appearing across the cathode resistor that confuses the servo, making it push the bias more negative. With a seriously assymetrical waveform (what music is a sinewave anyway?), the servo can push the tube into bad non-linear conduction. Result, even before you are *near* and not *at* 0V on g1, you have terrible sounding music.

What Broskie figued was that a DC servo worked quite excellent as long as the grid didn't conduct and the tube stayed in class-A. But as the tube approached the borderline, the circuit should up the bias to keep the tube class-A. It was a very simple task to accomplish - toss a diode in there so it turned on as the point was reached. That's what the 1N4148 in series with the 220K resistor does. As the tube starts developing odd audio-related votages across the cathode resistor, the diode contucts and "assists" the reference voltage, effectively increasing the bias, keeping the tube in the class-A area with large input signals.

This brings us to those two 0.1uF polycaps... the crossover/recovery time must be as balanced as possible from DC servo to bias-compensator, unless you want to introduce some distortion (it's a subsonic bass pulse, your woofer will hate you if you get it wrong Wink ). Make the values too large and the circuit will be too slow on transients. And on recovery, the tube current shoots up for too long. Too small of values and audio will leak into the bias circuit. Since when this part of the circuit is active, the two 220K resistors will be acting in parallel, hence keeping the time constant equal with the 100K/0.1uF on the sense line.

The Broskie circuit does a wonderful job and can actually increase the output power of an amplifier. Its flaw though, is it doesn't know when to quit! If you keep pouring more signal on the input, it'll keep raising the bias through the tube. On my CV4060/S11E12 with mu-follower driver, as I turned the function genny to max, the current through the tube was an insane 130mA with 465V on the anode - twice its 60mA bias and well over Pd.

Foldover protection. So, we need a third circuit in here, which tells the device that "enough is enough" and cut back on the current. The other section of the 4558 does just that. There is a divider on the input that sets this "trip point" as to when to hit the brakes. The values shown (in my CV4060 circuit) will cut the current very abruptly at 72mA, where any higher input causes the current through the tube to fall lower and lower, until it hits the DC servo mode again, despite the waveform. Use the variable alternative to tweak the trip point. This is all simply accomplished as the foldover diode turns on, it places voltage on the sense input of the control opamp, making the chip realize there's too much current flowing and because its voltage will be stronger because the impedance on that diode is lower (thanks to the opamp driving it), the Broskie compensation is overridden.

Caveats. As with anything, nothing is free. The higher the trip point, the better the sound at full power and the more power you get (I get a solid 10.5W sinewave with the 72mA trip point). The disadvantage is shortened tube life and a power supply that may moan and whine.

Also, in this "Muntzed" version, there is some component interaction. If you change the 220K resistor on the Broskie compensation diode, your trip point will go all to heck. But this interaction is one-way... the trip point resistor doesn't change the Broskie section at all..

So, I got this all down with one dual opamp and some peripheral parts. Thanks to the PSRR of the opamp, a regulated supply isn't needed. I also don't see why most any dual opamp can't be used.

Because this is based on the Broskie circuit, Copyleft dictates it's available for use under the same conditions as the original - any and all use, including commercial, for attribution.

Cheers! Smiley

* Modified-Broskie.png (4.59 KB, 667x443 - viewed 2105 times.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 14:52:21 by Geek » Logged

-= Gregg =-
_|:::|---^^^+^^^---|:::|_
There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Wink
Geek
Has r00t

Tubes keep kitty happy

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 09:37:27 »

No comments? Huh

-= Gregg =-
draget
Thomas H. Drage
Asgard

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:01:05 »

I don't even know what I'm looking at, so thats my excuse  Tongue
Jason
1337 g0d

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 11:07:15 »

I didn''t know what to say. Don't really understand what's going on anymore Embarrassed

Did you email John Broskie? He might be interested to see the variation on his circuit.

'Tubes' belong in light fittings.
Geek
Has r00t

Tubes keep kitty happy

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 11:18:36 »

Did you email John Broskie? He might be interested to see the variation on his circuit.

Yup!

I dunno if he'll reply the email shrug He does say in his "contact" guidelines he doesn't do forums, but he need not post.

I didn''t know what to say. Don't really understand what's going on anymore Embarrassed

It's a simplified version of his articles:
http://www.tubecad.com/2005/May/blog0045.htm
http://www.tubecad.com/2005/May/blog0046.htm

...with the addition of a foldback to keep the bias from going so high, the circuit destroys the tube.

Bottom line - drop in an output tube and forget about it - no bias adjustments.

The only thing is the circut works with a "normal" voltage developed across the cathode resistor of 0.6V. So, with a 10 ohm resistor works good for 60mA of normal current. For other currents, just use a different cathode resistor so under normal conditions, 0.6V is developed across it Smiley

-= Gregg =-
Jason
1337 g0d

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 12:06:33 »

Ahhh.... I think I get it now Smiley

Very cool. Umm... I mean, hot.  Tongue

'Tubes' belong in light fittings.
Geek
Has r00t

Tubes keep kitty happy

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 12:13:05 »

laugh

I'll write an article for the main website, once I put it through its paces, to make sure I ain't made a lemon Wink

-= Gregg =-
1337 g0d

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 14:41:38 »

Greg,
When you have perfected it maybe you could approach Fairchild or somebody
to encapsulate it into a little 4 leg chip or, better still, a glass tube thing. laugh laugh
Mustn't frighten the phools with heresy. Evil
? paul

Appropriately inadequate.
Yves
1337 g0d

Fool on the hill

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 15:30:53 »

Heuuuuuuu? Huh
Yes..., sure..., but..., ahem..., what do you fear about? tongue-in-cheek

Tube thermal runaway, lack of bias supply, shorted link cap?? HuhEvil Huh
Just a fast fuse should be sufficient and less prone to failure that all this thermal sensitive sand? laugh
KISS  Tongue
? ?Yves.

NFB is like salt, a pinch improves taste of already good meals, a spadeful turns anything worst
Geek
Has r00t

Tubes keep kitty happy

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 22:31:11 »

Greg,
When you have perfected it maybe you could approach Fairchild or somebody
to encapsulate it into a little 4 leg chip or, better still, a glass tube thing. laugh laugh
Mustn't frighten the phools with heresy. Evil
? paul

Yeah, a little glass drop, like some thermistors Evil

Heuuuuuuu? Huh
Yes..., sure..., but..., ahem..., what do you fear about? tongue-in-cheek

Tube thermal runaway, lack of bias supply, shorted link cap?? HuhEvil Huh
Just a fast fuse should be sufficient and less prone to failure that all this thermal sensitive sand? laugh
KISS  Tongue
? ?Yves.

Honestly, I was looking for just a fool-proof way to drop in an output tube and go - no bias adjustments Smiley

-= Gregg =-
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: